What our members say

“As a livery yard owner, the support from the EEA has been invaluable in the employment of our staff and the efficient running of the business.”

Day Dressage

EEA Member

“We decided we were going to do things differently, I just wasn't always sure how to do it! The EEA has all the solutions to employing staff legally.”

D & L Performance Horses

EEA Member

Get Annual Membership to the EEA

ONLY £37.50 Per year

Sign Up Now

Get Annual


to the EEA



Per year

Sign Up Now

Watch Our Video

The Equestrian Employers Association (EEA) is the organisation for you if you employ staff in the equestrian industry.

International Riders
Travel Insurance

Discounted Insurance for Horse Riders

If you are competing or riding abroad you will need a specific insurance travel policy. Unfortunately unforeseen emergencies and accidents can happen, so it is important to think carefully about your specific travel insurance needs - you need rider insurance. 

If you already have holiday travel insurance you may find this will not cover you whilst working abroad. Credit card accident cover, home insurance, EHIC or private health cover is also often not sufficient for the cover you may need, therefore it is important to check this carefully before travelling. 

Adventures Travel Insurance provides the cover in three parts so if you do have your own travel insurance you can just pick the cover required.

Part A: includes essential cover for medical and emergency expenses, specialist activity equipment and up to £50,000 search & rescue costs following an accident, as well as personal accident, personal liability, curtailment (following an accident only whilst you are participating in an insured activity) and legal expenses.

Part B: provides additional cover to bring the policy into line with a ‘standard’ travel policy and includes:- cancellation, personal possessions, personal money, travel delay and end supplier failure cover. An additional premium will apply.  **Please be aware you do not have to opt for this addition to the policy**

Part C: Independent Traveller Cover provides extended cover for cancellation/curtailment, delayed departure and travel disruption with the addition of accommodation expenses including if your trip is disrupted by an event such as a natural disaster e.g. volcanic eruption or if the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body have issued a directive advising against all, or against all but essential travel. An Additional premium will apply. **Please be aware you do not have to opt for this addition to the policy**

Medical cover is arguably the most important element of any travel insurance policy, if only because of the costs you may face if something should happen without it. The Consumers' Association recommends that you should have:

  • £1 million of medical cover in Europe
  • £2 million in the USA and the rest of the World

You may think this seems like huge amount but when you consider the cost of medical care outside the UK it begins to seem very sensible. For example, the Foreign and Commonwealth office notes the following costs:

If you got kicked and sustained a head injury, returning you home to the UK in an air ambulance from the east coast of the USA can cost up to £35,000 and if you include emergency medical treatments such as surgery you can see these costs rise considerably.



The Adventures Policy has been specifically tailored for EEA members who are riding abroad, and their grooms who must be BGA members to access the policies at the discounted rate.



You can choose the cover you require, with either the option to purchase either an annual multi-trip policy or if you would prefer a single trip policy specific for the days you are travelling.

Read more about the policy by downloading the Travel Insurance Policy



To access this exceptional price you will need to have an EEA membership number. 

So purchase your membership and then call PJ Hayman & Company to arrange your policy.

Call  02392 419 070  (8.00am to 18.00pm Monday to Friday)  and quote ‘Equestrian Employers Association (EEA) ’ 

A guide on the policy pricing is as per below*. Each trip abroad is different and thus you will be quoted for your personal requirements. 

*based on a person under 40 years of age, on category 2 risk for Part A only.



Annual Multi-trips must be no longer than 60 days at a time, for longer trips the P J Hayman Customer Service team will be happy to work with you to get you a tailored policy at the best prices. 




Will it cover me for everything I do when I am competing and being around my horses?
Yes, the policy will cover all aspects of competitive horse riding, including showjumping, dressage and eventing.

What number will I call if I am abroad and need assistance?
If you need medical emergency assistance it is very important that you contact our Emergency Assistance Provider, as detailed within your policy wording on page 10.

Will it cover my possessions too?
Yes, If you have purchased Part B cover, the policy includes up to £2000 cover for your personal possessions, with a single item limit of £300 and up to £300 for any personal money. There is an excess of £75 per person. 

I am going abroad to work for 2 years. Can you help me?
PJ Hayman has access to a number of products, suitable for extended periods of time whilst working abroad. So still contact their Customer Service Team on 023 9241 9070 to discuss a suitable policy for you.

How long will it take for the insurance to be set up?
Cover can start from the moment we have completed the policy with you on the phone and taken payment.  All documents are issued via email so you can access them easily when you are abroad.

Can I get these rates if I am not a EEA member?
No, these rates have been agreed with the insurers specifically for EEA and BGA members.

What about the EHIC Card?
You may already have the European Health Insurance card (EHIC) and think that this covers you when you are working a rider in Europe. Things, however, are not as straightforward as many of us think.

The EHIC does entitle holders to medical treatment in all EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, on the same basis as an “insured” resident of these countries. However, it may not cover all that you would expect to get here under the NHS and you may also have to pay for part of the treatment.

Here you will find at-a-glance details of what you can expect to be charged and what you can reclaim in each of the countries covered by the EHIC. While the EHIC will cover you for medical treatment in state hospitals but there are certain things that are not covered such as emergency medical treatment and repatriation to the UK after an accident.

It is highly recommended that if you are working in Europe you should still have an EHIC Card - apply for one here



Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.